Thursday, August 4, 2016

Crochet Pattern Review: Knee High Socks

Months ago, a friend of mine tagged me in a photo of knee high slipper socks on facebook, asking me if I was able to make them. The problem was, her photo was of a knit pair of socks, and I just never was able to pick up on that particular craft. After catching up on mermaid tails, I decided to set out to find a crochet pattern for these adorable socks!


They kind of remind me of Punky Brewster! Something about all the colors make me smile. These are the pair I made from the pattern, and they are now available in my shop 

The pattern comes from the creative mind of a gal named Clarissa at AspenCustomCrochet on Etsy. The pattern is listed for $3.50, and worth every penny! It is listed as "intermediate", and I think this is a very accurate description. I would not attempt this as a beginner. What you need to know for this pattern:
Single Crochet (sc)
Half Double Crochet (HDC)
Double Crochet (DC)
Front Post Double Crochet (FPDC)
Front Post Triple Crochet (FPTC)
Magic Circle (MC)
Slip Stitch (SL ST)

The description when you purchase also mentions that you will need to know how to increase and decrease which you use when creating the toe and the heel. Knowing how to chaneg colors on each round will also be helpful. You will also want to have a good needle for sewing in the ends, as there will be a lot! 

Another reason why the intermediate rating is accurate, is becuase you may have to do some of your own tweaking to make these fit you around the calf. There are a few rows of SC just above the ankle that work to keep the sock from slipping off, however, that same stitch up around the calf muscle didn't work for me. It was too tight. Instead, I decided to continue with DC, and then towards the top where the rows of blue are I decided to do a HDC and crochet behind the stitch to give it a knit look. This allowed for a bit more flexability around the calf, yet still snug enough to not fall down.

The other fantastic part about this pattern is that it comes with 3 different sizes, and you can adjust the colors ot fit any style you want! It is also versitile enough that if you need to make the sock wider, you can easily add a few more stitches. You can add your own flare using a ribbon through the top, a larger flower, or buttons. There are endless possibilities here.

All this said, go check out AspenCustomCrochet!! These will make some great gifts for any gal in your life!


Happy Hooking Y'all!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the awesome review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the pattern :)
    -Clarissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad I found it. I just added my email so I can follow your blog. I look forward to seeing more. You're stuff is adorable!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the awesome review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the pattern :)
    -Clarissa

    ReplyDelete