Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Flying With Oils

The thing I adore about my doTERRA business, is that I can take it anywhere with me! My trip to Florida was no exception. I had a few friends asking about oils and how they work, so I decided to pack everything I had and bring it along. My biggest question was TSA guidelines, and the easiest way to travel with oils.

Essential oils can be flamable, some such as Melaluca, having a flashpoint of around 120f. When you board your flight, there are signs everywhere stating that flamable materials are not permited in your checked luggage. This was the biggest thing I worried about. Not only that, but I wondered if there was a limit on how many 3oz or less sized containers were allowed to be brought on with your carry on.

A few days before my trip, I contacted my upline to get her thoughts. She said she always brought her oils in her carry on, and suggested I put them in ziplock bags in case they leak or break. This seemed easy enough! I used one of my carry on bags solely for oils and oil related business items. I decided to group my oils as best I could so that they would be easy to find (i.e. citrus oils in one bag).
Doing this really helped me when I was both waiting during my layover and when I got to where I was going. When I went through security in Omaha, the lady helping to scan through items was a little confused. I had 6 bags of oils, and of course,  I took them out of my carry on and placed them in their own bin as instructed. She showed the guy who was scanning and said "Um...these are all oils or something" the guy took one look and replied "Their size and packing meet code. Send them through". Not gonna lie, I was about to have a moment of panic at the thought of having my oils thrown out! On the flip side, when I came home and went through Tampa, no one batted an eyelash.

 My daughter and I took a late nap the day before we left, and woke up at 10pm. We had to leave our house by 1:30am, so we just stayed up. This made for a really exhausting trip. I do not sleep well in any moving vehicle, so I decided that between Chicago and Tampa, I would mix up a roller ball bottle to help aid in my flying nerves and help me get some shut eye.

That said, don't forget to pre-pack a few roller bottles with coconut oil in them!! This will save you a lot of time when you are on the go. You can just add whatever oils you want and be on your way. I had also packed bottle cap stickers so I could remember what I mixed together.

The rest of the trip was a piece of cake! I had samples ready for my friends, a couple of them borrowed the Pedal Diffuser, and when it came time to pack everything back up, I had become a pro! While I was there, it was, of course, HOT. I mean, it is summer in Florida after all. We took a trip to Busch Gardens with some friends and I brought along some peppermint oil. 

When I got hot, I simply rubbed some oil on my pulse points and the back of my neck. When I was splashed with water or a breeze blew, it gave this really wonderful cool tingly sensation. Think of when you chew mint gum then take a drink of water. It's kind of like that. This picture is so blury because it was sobright out, I couldn't see my phone screen!

So there you have it. It is simple really! I no longer have a fear of traveling with oils, and I am so looking forward to my next trip! If you have any questions, please let me know. I would be happy to help you pack for a trip of your own. 





3 comments:

  1. What are the guidelines for flying with oils? Is it not through 3-3oz containers (or whatever it is? Haven't flown in awhile) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can fly with them in your carryon. Just make sure you put them in plastic bags. The bottles meet TSA regulations, so it's really easy to take them with you :)

      Delete
  2. What are the guidelines for flying with oils? Is it not through 3-3oz containers (or whatever it is? Haven't flown in awhile) :-)

    ReplyDelete